Sunday, July 19, 2009

She's Got Skills...

While I have always professed my ineptness in the art of flirting and such, I recently had the chance to show my good friend exactly how terrible I am at the whole thing. We were out shopping, just looking around when we walked into a very nice jewelry store. I was dreaming of diamonds and they were having a sale, so I thought I'd take a look. As I gazed longingly at the scintillating diamond earrings, the salesman walked up. Only he was a younger guy, obviously near our age, tall, darker hair, and eager to please it seemed.

He showed off a few of the earrings to me, going for his sale, but clearly attempting to flirt with us. He asked where we went to school, assuming we were still in school. I think he was somewhat surprised to learn that we had already graduated and had full time jobs. The earrings, alas, were not in my price range, so I sighed a goodbye to them and went about browsing other items in the store.
"You can just get your boyfriend to buy them for you," he said.
And with that one remark, my friend said, "She doesn't have one, we're looking though!"

Oh. my. gosh. Are you kidding me?!? I can't believe she just told him that. I tried to pretend I was looking away at some fabulous jewels as my face flushed red. I kind of wanted to crawl into a hole, just a bit. I wasn't sure what to say and with each question he had to start a conversation, I just had one word answers to reply. I wasn't exactly interested in this guy, so maybe that's why I couldn't flirt back. But also, I just didn't have anything to say. I couldn't think of any questions, there wasn't anything there!

When we left the store, my friend looked at me like I was crazy. "Hannah! He was totally hitting on you! Why didn't you flirt back?!" Um. Yeah. So here it is.

Dear Friends,
I have absolutely NO skill in the art of flirting. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not lying (I wish I was). And I'm not kidding. While I try to pass it off as endearing, I realize that in actuality it's not endearing, it's just. plain. sad.

Thanks,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment