Sunday, July 26, 2009

Changes

Funny thing, change. Sometimes it happens so subtly, you don't even notice. Like the way I subtly gained twenty pounds since I graduated high school, or how the tone of my skin has ever so slowly gotten a smidgen darker each time I step into the sun. Then there are other kinds of change. The ones that happen so quickly, you don't have much time to react. Like the birth of a child, in one day your life has changed forever. Or a car accident that totals your car. In a split second, everything changed. Now you need a new car, your plans for that little bit of savings you had have gone completely out the window.

But I think the kind of change I dislike the most, is the one that happens slowly before your eyes, but you can't do anything to stop it. Like how you begin to hang out with a friend less and less, until you aren't really friends anymore. Or how you are slowly worked out of the loop because you don't exactly fit in with the group anymore. Your career is different maybe, or you aren't in a serious relationship the way they are. That's the kind of change I don't really like.

I only am writing this because I am anticipating a lot of change in the next year. It's funny how lately it seems my life works in groupings of two to three years. And then, transition. For example, I went to a junior college to dance for two years. So for two years, I knew exactly what I was doing, I had it all down to an art. Then came time to transition to a university. As I worked to complete the next three years of college (yeah, I took the Victory Lap), I knew more or less what each year held. My schedule was similar, I was involved in an organization, I danced, I just was in a great routine.

Then came graduation...after graduation I hit a year of limbo. I didn't have a full time job and I wondered if I would ever get one. I had planned to live out my dream job, but had to settle for what I could get. Finally, after a year of transition, I got a full time job. I'm now going into my third year there. But somehow this year feels like a transitional year. I feel like there are big changes coming. I know they will come in one of the three ways. Some will happen slowly without my knowledge, some will happen swiftly...in the blink of an eye, and then there will be those that I can see happening right in front of me, but can't seem to stop.

It's an interesting thing...change...here's hoping it's all for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment