Thursday, August 6, 2009

Taking It Back to the Old School

I think it's funny that I still have the following school girl gossip conversations with friends (paraphrased, of course):

Me: So did she say anything about me?
Friend: No, just that you were nice...
Me: Yeah, right. Did you say anything about him?
Friend: Just that I knew him, I asked if he was still in town.
Me: Did she mention anything about me and him, like say that I was the one who was hopelessly flirting with him last time?
Friend: False.
Me: Or that I was an idiot to think he'd like me back?
Friend: False.
Me: So basically you're telling me that you didn't find any good information out?
Friend: Um, yeah.
Me: Thanks...

Of course the funniest part of this is that it IS a bit like middle school. And if I remember right, middle school wasn't exactly my finest moment. I definitely had one particular crush who TO THIS DAY I have not lived down. Though I was over him by high school, people ALWAYS liked to bring him up to me...

Sample conversation in high school 11th grade math class (which he was in):
Boy: Hey remember in 8th grade when you liked _____?
Me: (face turning red) Uh, yeah, thanks.

Even now it still gets brought up...and I'm not sure why that is...

Is it because while on yearbook staff I wrote "Hannah loves _____" on one of the pages in our school yearbook that was PUBLISHED and handed out to the ENTIRE school?
Maybe.

Is it because I continually professed my "love" for him through written letters and poetry?
It's possible.

Or is it because that particular year completely screwed me up and I haven't acted the same around boys since, which might be a good thing (see "poetry" mention above)?
Could be, could be.

Well, look at the bright side...at least now, MANY years later, I can laugh at myself, I have funny stories to tell my kids (should I ever get married and have any), and I can thank the Lord above that I did not end up with him (surprised to hear that, I'm sure).

Though sometimes (ok, ALL the time) I do wish the Lord would have stopped me before that yearbook note got published...and maybe before the poetry...yes...yes, definitely before the poetry....

1 comment:

  1. at least you weren't alone. i still blame certain people (whose name i won't mention) for "encouraging" us to do most of those things. oh, the joys of middle school.

    ReplyDelete