Sunday, May 3, 2009

Music of the Heart

I don't know about you all, but for me, when it comes to musicians, forget guitars, I'm into pianos. Give me Beethoven over Clapton any day! I think it dates back to elementary school when I had a crush on *Nate Pearson*. Nate was a third grade genius who played the piano. He had brown hair, glasses, kind of nerdy, Harry Potter-ish if you will. And yet I found him so interesting as a young girl. I distinctly remember going to Mrs. Lhuillier's music class (we pronounced it Low-wheel-yur, very different from the pronunciation of say, Monique Lhuillier, pronounced Loo-lee-yay, which is probably more correct) and she would ask him to play the piano for the class. So we'd all sit Indian style on the rough carpet as he would pull the bench in towards the piano and then bust out Beethoven's "Fur Elise". For some reason those memories stick out in my head from third grade music class...that, and dancing like fools to the Beach Boys "Kokomo". It's amazing what you remember...

Anyway, all this to say, even since then, the piano spoke to me, unlike any other instrument. Something about the way the music flows together and yet is still so distinct. The range of possibilities on the piano has to be significantly more than that of other instruments, you have 88 keys to work with! I think there is also something sophisticated about the piano that I am drawn to, though I don't know why that is. All I know is that the music is beautiful and if there is a nice looking man playing...all the better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment