Friday, May 22, 2009

SYTYCD

Last night I watched the premiere of "So You Think You Can Dance". I think the best part about it is watching all the amazing talent. Many times, the judges get emotional, and I totally get that. I get the excitement and the joy in watching someone dance with beautiful lines and expressive emotion. I get their reactions because I am a dancer.

I will NEVER be good enough to be a professional or to be on a show like that, but I am a dancer. I know this because every part of me feels the need to dance all the time. When I'm walking down an empty hallway, I want to skip, chasse, and leap through it, not just walk. When I find mirrors, I want to practice my pirouettes in front of them and take a look at my arabesque. I have to dance.

So knowing that I will never be a professional and knowing that my technique will always be lacking, watching someone execute moves perfectly, gracefully, and correctly is a VERY beautiful thing to me. I appreciate the talent. I appreciate the love, the heart, the passion for dance, because I get it.

I know a lot of people don't get it, I'm kind of the "weird" one in the family because I feel this way about an art form. But I think that's why I love it, it's an art. It's expression. It's the only art where your only instrument is yourself. Painters need brushes, musicians need instruments, sculptors need clay, dancers just need themselves.

So thank you for a show like SYTYCD, cause it reminds me of my true passion, dancing. It reminds me that even though I might not be a professional, I am still a dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment