Thursday, September 10, 2009

That's right...I keep a diary.

So I watched a show that mentioned journals and it got me thinking...when did a "diary" become a "journal". I mean, really, what's the difference? Both are for venting and reflecting and remembering. And I actually took the time to look it up, cause yes, my life is that boring...and low and behold!! They have the same definition!

I think people just like to say journal, because you think a diary is the book covered in pink crushed velvet and feathers with the words "Diva" in purple writing scrawled on the cover. You think it's the book that you took your gel roll sparkle pen and wrote "I <3 JH" or "Jim Halpert + Hannah = Love".

But it isn't really that...I mean, it was. In 8th grade. Or 6th grade, maybe.

But now my diary or "journal" is just a simple book with lined pages (and sometimes unlined) that I write my thoughts in, and my prayers in. Of course, due to the many crazed sitcom episodes that have centered the conflict around diary secrets that have been divulged, I do not typically write down names...other than my own, of course. Or not really my own name...cause I don't write in third person, so why would I write my own name down...but you get the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment